15 January 2007

People really say things like this?

"We've got all the benefits of a relationship without the commitment."

Granted, I wasn't actually there when this was said, and it wasn't about me or anything, and it could have been taken out of context... but seriously? You're not the first person to express such a false and offensive sentiment. It's along the same lines as other crap that I hear frequently, and I'm sick of it.

I stand by my reaction when I say that I can't wait to leave Provo. Someone told me that there will be guys like this everywhere, but at least anywhere else there will be people who don't have a history of treating me this way. I'm tired of this attitude. You boys in Provo--you should know better! You are good, Church-going men. Priesthood holders. You know what the prophets say. I like hanging out as much as the next girl, but I don't like feeling used. I don't like your attitude. I feel like my earnest gestures are in vain. They are abused. At the risk of trying to make myself sound like I'm this do-gooder that just likes to cook and assist and talk and whatever, I will say that I like being of service. A genuine reaction of happiness and gratitude is all I need. No paybacks, no returning the favor... it's not necessary.

That being said, let your ex, or friend who happens to be a girl, or some sucker who has a crush on you do whatever makes her happy when she tries to do nice things for you.

Just don't cheapen an earnest gesture with that "no commitment" crap.

1 comment:

  1. i've found that even the presence of Jesus, Buddha, Muhammed or God himself cannot stop a dick from being a dick.

    dickness knows no faith.

    huge bummer.

    ReplyDelete