19 March 2012

the journey vs. the destination

IMG_5504

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" has been the mantra haunting my dreams for the past four years. I wanted to run a marathon again because I felt like I'd cheated myself the first time by just waking up and running 26 miles one very unseasonably cold and rainy day without any preparation. It's a bad idea, guys. BAD IDEA. DON'T DO IT.

That said, waking up and just doing it without any preparation is kind of my M.O. It was my approach to music lessons as a kid, much of college and grad school, other important life events, etc., and the last-minute hurrying, anxiety, and frustration was really beginning to wear on me after a while. So I decided to challenge myself with a marathon—there are arguably easier ways to challenge oneself, but just work with me here. I think in my mind I thought this would be the redeeming run and that I'd do things right. I followed Hal Higdon religiously, I quit sugar for a month, I talked it up to everyone who would listen just to motivate me to actually do it. Robbie was my unofficial coach, giving me a hard time if I tried to sleep in and skip runs, but understanding and helpful when I felt like I was pushing myself too hard.

Last week, I was stressing out about minor aches and pains, the sudden appearance of a cold, and the unseasonably warm weather. I was a ball of nerves the night before the run, but made it to bed early after a carb-loading dinner. I woke up early, I stretched, I meditated (seriously, WHO HAVE I TURNED INTO??), I thought about what was ahead of me. I got to the starting line, put one foot in front of the other, and finished—and it took me just as long as it did the first time.

It was hard. It was really hard! It was hot (so very unseasonably hot), I was dehydrated, and I was alone for the last four miles. I don't remember anything, really, about my 2008 marathon. Even when I read the thoughts I wrote about the experience, I couldn't remember why I was crying, why it was painful, why I swore to myself I'd never run another marathon. But I kept reassuring myself over the past few months that no matter what, I'd be ready, and that I'd be able to beat my 2008 time and somehow redeem myself after that fairly insignificant experience. And I can't lie to you—I was really bummed when Robbie told me my official time (4:49:21). It's not bad—it's really not bad. But I think that I felt like I should have been able to run faster because of my diligence. Maybe I still feel like I deserved better. Oddly enough, I'm getting emotional just thinking about all of this.

But Robbie and Eliza, who met me at the finish line, reminded me again and again that the hours it took to run on Saturday were so incredibly insignificant compared to the hours I spent preparing for that run. I sacrificed sleep, comfort, and the use of the right side of my body (temporarily) after I tripped and fell at the beginning of one of my runs (that was a sad day), and I have physical reminders of all the work I did (i.e., the massive scar on my hip from the aforementioned fall). I studied for the test—I didn't cram. I felt prepared. In this case, the journey—the 16 weeks of blood, sweat, and tears—was far more important than the 26.2 mile destination.

In the end, I'm proud of myself. Things are better this time around than they were four years ago—I'm not wincing every time I sit down, I'm walking without a limp. The preparation paid off in ways that I'm grateful for now. But heaven help us if I ever do another marathon.

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:26 PM

    Loved this post; very inspiring! I'm so glad the marathon was a good experience, and how good it must feel to reach a goal and be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved it too. i feel like i cheated myself with my first marathon too (got injured, couldn't prep, ran it anyway -- and came NOWHERE NEAR running it under 5 hours, so i'm super-impressed). i've told myself that i'll run another one the right way someday... not sure when that will be.

    i remember seeing you at the end of your first marathon too! my sister ran the st. george that same year.

    anyway, way to go! seriously, you're awesome and you inspire me. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can think is, "Dude! You rock!" I am really impressed a person can run that long and live to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the frustrations of not making a better time, I think it's great that you pushed yourself to do another marathon. That's really what these kinds of things are about anyway, right--setting goals for ourselves and pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone. "Builds character," as Calvin and Hobbes' dad would say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand you wanting a better time, since you did prepare afterall, but like you said - it's more about the journey. your body is thanking you for preparing this time by being gentler and kinder on you after the race. you are a machine! congrats on this huge accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Hannah!

    One of these years I'll do it. St.George is still really high on my list of places to run (you know.. near and dear to to my heart) but the weather is always so iffy.. really hot or really cold. It's rare that the desert shows marathoners a great weekend there in October.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words of wisdom.
    Great job, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got all teary-eyed reading this! You have a great way of looking at life. Just waking up and doing stuff (and, honestly, disdaining preparation despite decades of evidence in my own life that that is not the way to go) is my M.O., too, so you're an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is joy in the journey, joy in the climb / twisted and turning, reaching for the open sky / carving out each footstep in the struggling we find / that there is hope and there is joy in the journey.

    1998? Anyone? I want to give myself a medal for remembering those lyrics.

    I'm proud of you, Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "joy in the journey" was my alternate title.

      Delete
  10. You're awesome! And I love that quote by Juma Ikangaa. It definitely helps to motivate me before races. And I can relate! I felt like I for sure should have run my last race better, but I knew that all that preparation and getting up early on Saturdays to run paid off. I certainly could have run a lot worse.

    So congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This flies-by-the-seat-of-her-pants girl is inspired. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there! Randomly clicked on your blog (through Julie's blog). Ran this past weekend as well--it was HOT. If marathons were easy--everyone would be doing it. Each race I've done has helped me prepare for the next one. It gets easier/better/and fun-er. Good job on finishing and throughly impressed your braid is still intact! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really should be proud of yourself. The dedication it takes to train and run a marathon is really incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! I can't even possibly think about 26 miles. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the farthest/longest i have ever run in my life is 7 miles...so you definitely deserve to be proud of yourself for running 26!! and to be honest the training seems more daunting than the race itself, so good job on all of it. you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kudos to you for learning not to be the spontaneous, unprepared person. I am so guilty of that at times.

    ReplyDelete