You might think that this feat is something to be proud of. Let me clarify: people who train for marathons should be proud. I don't think that stumbling over the finish line, hanging onto your husband for dear life, and cursing the day you decided to run without training counts as a proud moment. I knew that there would be consequences for my actions when I heard conference this morning, and YW President Sister Dalton (a marathon runner herself) quoted, "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. (Juma Ikangaa, winner of the NYC Marathon)"
But I did it. I got that finisher's medal. I got the t-shirt and the GLORY!!! Just kidding. There is no glory for people who get passed by 84 year-old runners. I can't wait to see the pics online that they took during the race, because then maybe you'll get a better idea of what the weather was really like, and so I can see what Icy Hot looks like when it's running down my thighs.
Now let me tell you what was going on in my mind in this picture:
-Why did it have to rain the entire 5 hours it took me to finish this race?
-Cool nose strip, Dad.
-Will I be able to sit down tomorrow? (The answer is no.)
-Did I really cry for the entire last mile?
-I wonder if my iPod will work again, since it seems to have shorted out in the rain.
-People who refer to the 17 mile "wall" obviously haven't taken over 12 minutes to run their 26th mile.
-When I told Mom that I never wanted to do this ever again, she responded, "Women say that all the time about bearing children." (She has six children. I wonder what my grandma, mother of twelve, says.)
-What kind of blog post am I going to write about this?
-Can I put "marathon runner" in the "Personal" section of my resume now? Academics and career-minded people impressed by that sort of drive, right?
-Where are we going to eat dinner later?
Golden Corral. Of course. (Eliza and Matt might think that's funny.)
Congrats on finishing the marathon! That is amazing. I went running tonight for the first time in forever, and doing that plus 25 miles...well, I'm having a heart attack just thinking about it.
ReplyDeleteHannah, I feel for you! But you did do it! My first year in Moab was without training and it sucked. That's why I can't ever imagine 26. Although it made me more determined to do the next year! We are excited to see you next week! :)
ReplyDeleteMy typing was terrible. Oops. That's why I can't imagine 26 miles. And it made me determined to do "better" the next year. I should go to bed.
ReplyDeleteThe caption under that last photo should read, "Dad said I'm really pushing the envelope wearing a blue shirt and being unshaven for Priesthood meeting." Then Robbie said, "How about wrinkled blue shirt, unshaven, and wearing no socks."
ReplyDeleteBut we love our guys anyway they look - and I think they both look cute!!
I dont care if you didn't train - its still awesome - i only dream of surviving a marathon one day... some day. I am so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you didn't "win" but you certainly accomplished something significant!
ReplyDeleteDon't underestimate the power of this experience.
Dad and I are proud of you for starting - and finishing - tears, grimaces and all!!
And there were lots of people behind you!! (meaning you did better than quite a few!)
You are awesome; to be like you one day Hannah.
ReplyDeleteOh, how I can imagine the tears...coming from me, that is. I am sure I would cry during the last mile.
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you! You have learned from your experience and I'll bet next time you'll train better and totally trash Dad's time. No offense to Dad.
I thought of you guys also when I heard Sister Dalton's marathon quote...
and, Mom's comment about Robbie and Dad's clothes made me lol.
One other caption I should have put was, "Are trash bags really an effective running accessory?" There were so many people running with trash bags on. Those crazies.
ReplyDeleteGood Job! You should be very proud of yourself!
ReplyDeleteI think it was more like:
ReplyDelete"How about wrinkled blue shirt, unshaven, no socks, AND feathered bangs."
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteNot sure if you remember me, but I'm Whitney Rozier's sister and I occasionally slink around (and enjoy) your blog. Anyhow, if you were wondering who the crazy people screaming your name were at the last .2, it was me, Melissa DeMasso, and Laura Rees. Congratulations on your finish- I don't care how long it takes, no one's body wants to move for 26.2 miles.
In my book, you won. I don't think I could finish that thing in under five days. I love all the thoughts you had when it was over. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteI would never do something like that. See, it took me 32 years to acquire this nice paded with fat rear end and I am afraid I could lose it over the training for such a race.
ReplyDelete