11 March 2010

Mystery plants

Well, staying home sick yesterday didn't do much for me, since I'm apparently worse today. I didn't even bother getting out of bed. (Lucky for me our wireless works now and I can blog in bed.) I made the unwise decision to make the 4 hour (in total) trek to and from class last night and all I did was stare at the professor while she talked about things I already knew about html while I sipped my vanilla tea. It was a long night last night. (But bless Courtney for bringing us dinner last night. What a hero. Seriously.)

To entertain me at home, I'd like to take a reader poll. Well, this question actually might be easily answered. But I don't really have a green thumb, so I'm clueless about this type of thing. During the sudden appearance of spring out here, I noticed that something was growing in our front planter box.


WHAT IS IT??? Tulips? Crocuses? Pretty weeds? I really have no idea as I haven't touched the garden since I weeded it last Labor Day.

Leave your guesses in the comments (or if you are a pro, your professional answer), and we'll find out soon!

15 comments:

  1. I think the top one are tulips and the other ones are...I think they're called crocuses. They're those pretty little white and yellow flowers that face outward.

    Totally guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing cabbage patch kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely not pretty weeds.

    maybe tulips and daffodils? maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice surprise ~ you are so lucky to have them! I love flowers, especially tulips and daffodils. My Dad always had catalogues of flowers and bulbs and he perused them constantly. Hurry spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the wide leaf ones are tulips and the thin ones are daffodils. It will look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my guess, tulips and daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fun! if they're not cabbage patch kids like courtney said (good one by the way) i hope they're sycamore trees! i just love sycamores.

    my dad (a biologist) would be so proud of my guesses. i call him probably weekly with some kind of "what is it" plant or animal question and expect him to be able to answer over the phone with my vague descriptions. it's super fun.

    yikes, and i hope you feel better soon. vanilla tea sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Top one looks like tulips, the other I don't know! but daffodils are ev-ery-where around here in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:41 PM

    i would also guess tulips

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate when you make the trek to class and learn nothing new.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever they are, I hope they bloom. Sometimes "replantings" just stay green but don't flower. I suspect tulips and daffodils too - lucky you - you can go around spouting Wordsworth "And then my heart with rapture thrills and dances with the daffodils!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too, tulips and daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was guessing the first one was irises? Then again Jacob is the pro, I'll have to tell him to wonder on over here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hannah,

    The fat leaves will be tulips the skinny leaves are daffodils. :)

    ReplyDelete