28 March 2006

This is what you get when you mess with us

I knew that there was a reason that I haven't posted a Moab entry yet.

The saga is not yet over.

I'd better warn you now that this isn't a post about the actual run. If you're interested in that, you might want to check out details on Eliza's blog. This is more about the continuing story of Hannah's aches and pains.

As most of you know, I've had knee problems for the past several years (thank you, water polo), but after much deliberation, x-rays, and an MRI, doctors still suggest stretching and icing rather than giving a diagnosis. Well, I guess if they can't do anything, they can't do anything. Whatever.

Anyway, I've been doing pretty well in the icing/stretching department. And what have you. I thought I wasn't going to have any problems during the run. At least till much later, like mile 10 or something. But at about mile 2, I was beginning to feel the strain in my left knee... suck! And then at mile 8, I had to stop and lean against ye olde mountain (I'm pretty sure a blind woman passed me at that point), and figure out how in the world I was going to finish. But I did! In two hours and twelve minutes. I'll give myself kudos for finishing relatively quickly (and 81st place in the 20-24 age division) without any training. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's quite possible. Plus, I was arguably in better shape than the first marathon runners in 1896. Like, I was actually wearing shoes and stuff.

So left knee was giving me problems all week, I was an unhappy camper, blah blah blah... but I guess I was asking for it. In the meantime, I hobbled around campus with my sore knee, trying to put more pressure on my right leg, but didn't really think anything of it. Until I was walking home on Friday afternoon, and I stopped with a sudden burst of pain in my right foot. I thought it was just a cramp, so I went home and stretched it out and iced it, but it didn't go away. Took some Tylenol, kind of forgot about it, but it was SO painful in the morning when I walked around on it... I was basically forced to go to the health center yesterday morning (I HATE going to the doctor! I'm paying them to tell me to ice my body!), and Dr. So-and-so tells me I have tendonitis in my right foot. He says ice and naproxen twice a day, I cringe, and then he says, "Oh, and you'll have to wear a boot."

I totally started laughing, because I had been discussing the possibility of a boot the night before when my friends were over for Waffle Night, and I honestly didn't think that it would be that serious. I mean, tendonitis is much better than a stress fracture (which I thought it might have been), but I still have to wear a boot. And it still hurts.

And to add insult to injury, I've come down with some sort of illness. By "some sort" I mean that I haven't gotten proper sleep, so I have a sore throat and my voice has gone. But now it's turning into a headache, and I just don't feel like editing this article that I wrote. I've been sitting in the library for an hour and a half, and I have gotten NOTHING done. And I have to be here at 7 to work on a class project, so it's pointless to walk down the gigantic flight of stairs that is on the hill to my house and then come back up them.

It's actually kind of funny. This boot is so big. I have to wear it for at least a week, and then I have a follow-up appointment next Monday. I'm just hoping that I don't have to take it to London (ahh!!!), but I bet I'll have to. And Jared tells me that running has ruined my body. I think that he's wrong. It only really ruined Pheidippides. I'm sure that there are other factors in my deterioration, like the fact that I can't afford real food and I'm living off rice pilaf, olives, Jell-O, and oatmeal at the moment. But at least I took care of it this time. I never take care of my injuries. This is a step up for me.

Haha. "Step." I crack myself up.

[ muzak | Your Heart Is An Empty Room - Death Cab for Cutie ]
[ love | What's not to love? My foot is in a giant book, I'm cracked out on drugs, and I have to edit a 15-page paper. ]

5 comments:

  1. See Hanna, I rest my case. If I excersied I could injure myself. Now you are my best reason not to!
    (I hope your foot feels better soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olives...yuck!

    Here's to NO boot in London. My fingers are most definitely crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olives are not cheap or particularly healthy - why not buy apples instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to point out that no one pointed out that I wrote "My foot is in a giant book."

    About the olives... I've had those since you gave me a bunch of old food like a year ago. I'm trying to get rid of ALL my food before I leave.

    And I still love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUCH! I hope you get better. No boot in London - too much public transport to make it feasible.

    ReplyDelete